Place Published: London
Publisher: Printed by George Eyre and Andrew Spottiswoode, Printers to the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty
Date Published: 1838
Edition: 1st Edition
Anno primo, Victoriae reginae Cap. IX. [10th February 1838]
4 pages -60pp. Very good condition.
Known as the "Lower Canada Government Act, 1838"
Under this Act, the government of the Province of Lower Canada is to be handled by a Special Council rather than the Provincial Parliament as directed until November of 1840. The duties and limits of this Special Council are described. • The powers of the present Legislature of Lower Canada are suspended
• Her Majesty may appoint a special Council for the affairs of Lower Canada
• Members of the Council to take an Oath.
• The Governor and Council may make Laws or Ordinances for the Government of Lower Canada
• Such laws to be proposed by the Governor.
• Limiting their duration.
• Proviso as to imposing taxes.
• Laws or Ordinances not to affect the existing laws respecting rights of election, etc.
• No law, etc. to appropriate the monies in hand for repayment of the sum of £142,160 unless on certificate of Commissioners of Treasury; nor to an amount exceeding the appropriation of 1832
• Laws or Ordinances may be disallowed by Her Majesty in Council.
• This Act not to affect laws now in force, etc.
• Proclamation of this Act.
• The term "Governor" defined.
• Act may be altered, etc.
Very Good. Item #8861