Item #8816 Heroines of Poetry. Constance E.  MAUD, Elizabeth, 1857–1929.
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry
Heroines of Poetry

Heroines of Poetry

Place Published: London
Publisher: Bickers & Sons
Date Published: 1906
Edition: 2nd Edition
Binding: Hard Cover

Beautiful custom made red leather covers for school prize with King's Hall Compton and Keep Troth - Make Good gilt embossed logo on the front cover. Some darker spots on spine and bottom left of front cover. Gilt edged paper edges. Inside a King's Hall Compton, PQ. presentation bookplate on marbled end papers noting this book a prize for Elocution, dated 1917. Marbled end papers and inside page are very clean and in near-fine condition.

5 x 7-1/4 inches. (12),3-299pp.(1). 11 unnumbered leaves of illustrated plates by Henry Ospovat, illustrator. A very nice attractive custom bound "Heroines of Poetry" book in overall near-fine condition with interesting provenance relating to King's Hall (Compton, Quebec). 10 stories contents:

• Maid of the swan-skin (William Morris)

• The fair maid of Astolat (Mallory)

• Sâvitrî the faithful wife (Edwin Arnold)

• The peasant maid (Longfellow)

• The little duchess (Browning)

• A hero's mother (Matthew Arnold and Firdausi)

• The good sister (C. Rossetti)

• The serpent woman (Keats)

• Minnehaha, Laughing-Water (Longfellow)

• "The learned princess" (Tennyson)

A first edition of this title was published in 1903 (1902) so it was popular enough for a second edition 3 years later in 1906.

Constance Elizabeth Maud was an author and Suffragette. She was an active member of the Women's Suffrage movement, frequently contributing to the newspaper 'Votes For Women' amongst other writings.

King's Hall (Compton, Que.). Compton Ladies' College was founded by the reverend Joseph Dinzey in 1874. A girls' school, the College was managed by a corporation composed of the Bishop of the Diocese of Quebec of the Church of England and four other members appointed by the Synod of the Diocese. In 1884, the College closed because of financial difficulties. It reopened in 1886 under the administration of Reverend George Herbert Parker and a new corporation presided over by the Bishop of Quebec. In 1902, Gena Smith, then Headmistress, reorganized the school on the model of British ladies' schools and had its name changed to King's Hall to mark the coronation of King Edward VII of England, which took place on the 9th of August of that year. A new corporation, formed of the Bishop of Quebec and twelve other members, was established. Through the years, King's Hall expanded its buildings and modified its philosophy of education to suit the needs of a modern educational institution. Girls from different countries and across Canada attended. King's Hall closed its doors in 1972. It is interesting to note, in 1917 when the tragic Halifax explosion occurred and the school assembly hall became an emergency hospital.

Miss Laura Joll (1867-1931) was Lady Principal at King's Hall from 1905 to 1928.
Near Fine. Item #8816

$145.00 USD
$194.75 CAD

See all items in Literature, Quebec, Women