Date Published: ND to 1869
Binding: No binding & hard cover
Jean Ingelow was an English poet, novelist, and a writer of short stories for children.
The collection contains 6 items dating from ND to 1869, specifically 2 letters, 3 cartes de visite, and 1 book with enclosures.
2 Autographed Letters Signed (ALS):
• ALS to Miss [Margaret?] Gatty (English writer of children's literature, founder and editor of Aunt Judy’s Magazine), Thursday, re having lunch with her, unwell since returning from the continent.
• ALS addressed Dear Sir, n.d., whom Ingelow has tried to help, three weeks ago sent an order for 5 shillings, sends another 5 shillings, asks where the person is situated so that he might engage in some literary work.
3 cartes de visite:
• Head shot of Ingelow, Elliot & Fry, London;
• Ingelow seated with a book and pen, Elliot & Fry, London;
• Ingelow seated with a book, Maull & Co., Photographers and Miniature Painters, London.
1 Book (signature tipped in):
• Mopsa the Fairy. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1869. Author’s edition, first American edition. Brownish red cloth with gilt stamping, spotting, rubbing, and a mark on the lower board. With a label (close of a letter signed by Ingelow) affixed to the front free endpaper. Loosely inserted is a small broadside of Ingelow’s writings published by Robert Brothers Publishers.
Collection on consignment with LDRB.
Good. Item #8746