Date Published: 1773 to 1806
Edition: 1st Edition
Binding: No binding
2 legal Case File folders, 1773-1806
13 oversized legal documents Dating 1773, 1797-9, 1801 and 1806.
• Case file #1;
a) A rare and important 19pp folio manuscript document dated 30th Sept. 1824 by Judge James Reid with his comments on the judicial system as requested by Secretary (Andrew William) Cochran (1792-1849).
b) 4 legal documents, pertaining to McTavish, Frobisher etc [North West Co.] vs. Samuel Gerrard law suit, 1799-1800 [Fur Trade related]
Simon McTavish was a fur trader and dealer in furs, militia officer, office holder, landowner, seigneur, and businessman. He was one of the owners of the North West Company (NWC). McTavish was certainly the colony’s [Canada's] most important businessman in the second half of the 18th century.
Samuel Gerrard (1767-1857) was a fur trader, businessman, militia officer justice of the peace, politician, and seigneur.
• Case files #2:
a) 7 oversized legal documents Dating 1797-9, 1801 and 1806.
The Honorable Judge James Reid was born in Scotland and came to Canada around 1788. He was called to the bar of Lower Canada in 1794 and in 1807 was appointed a judge of the Court of King’s Bench at Montreal. He filled the judicial office of one of the Judges of the Court of King's Bench, Lower Canada, for a period of thirty-three years, fifteen of which he presided as Chief Justice. During that time he handled many legal cases including many Fur Trade related cases including that of the North West Company. James Reid was one of the Trustees of the McGill estate. After relinquishing office, Reid and his family visited Europe and while in England, he was offered a knighthood by Queen Victoria, but he declined the honour. Reid married in 1808. His wife Elizabeth (Betsy) was the sister of Hon. William McGillivray (1764-1825). Judge Reid, was also the nephew-in-law to Simon McTavish. In 1810 he purchased a large property from the notary, Pierre Panet, After her husband's death in 1825, Elizabeth built the Reid wing of the Montreal General Hospital in 1848/49, Manor House and the Grounds are now Sohmer Park.
Collection on consignment with LDRB.
Very Good. Item #8532