Place Published: Belleville
Publisher: Canon J.W. Burke
Date Published: 1897
Binding: No binding
4-1/2 x 7 inches. Autographed Letter Signed. Dated Rectory Belleville, 21 June 1897. To Lt. Col. Pouton., 15 Battalian City. Thanking the battalion for attending that day's service. Black 1/4 inch border and two 1/4 inch holes at top with one just touching the l in Belleville, otherwise very good condition.
Canon J.W. Burke, the Rector of St Thomas’, established St Paul’s Mission in 1874. This building was erected by Rev. J.W. Burke rector of St. Thomas' Church. St Thomas’ also had a mission church, the last in the diocese. Initially the mission served the spiritual needs of the poor and the people arriving by boat and shipping communities in Belleville (hence its location close to the harbour) but latter it served the needs of the community as a whole. St Paul’s history is strong and faith-full , dating from 1874. St. Paul's Mission, located at 35 St Paul Street, Belleville, between Church Street and John Street South, closed in 2018.
Sir Gilbert Parker (1860-1932) encouraged by the Rector, Canon Burke, he studied theology, and served for a while as a deacon at St. George's, Trenton, where he helped raise money for an organ.