Archibald MacLeish collection II
Date Published: 1940 to 1981
Binding: No binding
Archibald MacLeish was an American poet, playwright, essayist, Librarian of Congress, lawyer and writer who was associated with the Modernist school of poetry. MacLeish studied English at Yale University and law at Harvard University. MacLeish was awarded three Pulitzer Prizes for his work.
The collection contains 13 items dating from 1940 to 1981, specifically 5 letters, 4 typescripts, 2 Library of Congress donation forms, and 2 photos.
5 Typed letters Signed (TLS):
• TLS to Professor Harold Roland Shapiro, 20 March 1941, re his tribute to Emanuel Harts.
• TLS to Chester Kerr, 16 June 1942, “Thanks for a fine note. I was glad to have it.”
• 2 TLS to Arthur E. Schneider, 30 April 1969 and 2 May 1969, re thanking him for his memories of the production of J.B. in Indiana and sending an autograph.
• TLS from Jakie Pruett, 7 July 1976, re when MacLeish first met Lyndon B. Johnson, asks MacLeish why he didn’t sign New and Collected Poems, 1917-1976, with hand-written semi-apology note from MacLeish.
4 Typescripts (Ts):
• Ts., 1 p., of poem, “The End of the World”, “signed for Henry Bonet | Archibald MacLeish”, n.d..
• Ts., 1 p., of poem, “You, Andrew Marvell”, “signed for | Gwen McGilvery | Archibald MacLeish”, n.d.
• Ts. of “Scratch”, scene one, signed, 1 p., n.d.
•Ts. of poem, “Psyche with the Candle”, 1 p., MacLeish corrects an error (“fervor” instead of “fevor”) and adds a line requesting the correction in any textbook, with envelope in McLeish’s hand to Michael Hecht, post-marked 5 October 1979.
2 Library of Congress donation forms:
•Library of Congress donation form for A.L. Philbrick, signed by MacLeish on 17 September 1940, re donation of Notes compiled by Edwin Peck on the English Origins of the American Philbrick Family (1940).
•Library of Congress donation form for Mrs. George Hay, signed by MacLeish, 4 April 1941, re donation of The Johnston Music League 1929-1939, with envelope.
2 b&w Photos:
• MacLeish wearing straw hat, 12 June 1967;
• “MacLeish Dies”, 20 April 1981, AP Laserphoto.
Collection on consignment with LDRB.
Very Good. Item #8451