Date Published: 1892 to 1930
Binding: No binding & hard cover
Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts Known as the Father of Canadian Poetry, Charles G.D. Roberts was a poet and prose writer who inspired creativity in other poets of his generation, among them Bliss Carman (his cousin), Archibald Lampman and Duncan Campbell Scott. Together, these four poets became known as the "Confederation" poets.
Charles G. D. Roberts collection contains 10 items dating from 1892 to 1930, specifically 9 Books & 1 signed inscription.
• Ave : An Ode for the Centenary of the Birth of Percy Bysshe Shelley. 1892. Toronto, Williamson Book Company. Rare true first edition with emotional Roberts inscription / signature and in overall very good condition. 8vo, 27pp. Salmon paper covered boards with black titles to front. With some minor dark marks on front cover. End papers with some toning and the front end papers has a 2” split along the edge but page still solid. Insides are very clean. 27 leaves, printed on one side only. Boards covered in homemade cloth dust jacket. Predates the listed first edition, dated 1893. With inscription on half title page; “Among all my poems this is my favourite. Charles G.D. Roberts June 27, 1929” Possible this copy owned by Roberts?
• Songs of the Common Day and Ave!, 1893. Toronto, William Briggs. Blue cloth, rubbing at the top and bottom of spine and at the corners, first gathering very loose. Signed presentation copy for the British vaudeville performer Owen A. Smiley, dated “Fredericton N.B. Xmas, 1895”.
• The Little People of the Sycamore, First edition. Roberts’s Animal Stories series. Greenish grey decorative cloth in chipped dust jacket with signed card, 24 June 1896 affixed to the front free endpaper (some discoloration to the endpapers).
• A Sister to Evangeline. Being the Story of Yvonne de Lamourie, and How She Went into Exile with the Villagers of Grand Pré. Boston: Lamson, Wolfe and Company, 1898. Blue cloth, top edge gilt. Name of previous owner on the front free endpaper, dated 1902. Affixed to the reverse of the map is a card inscribed in ink: “`On this vexed earth where man lives and dies, Then, morn by morn, God's benison may be sought, And duty fitly done but wins the skies.’ Charles G.D. Roberts Fredericton NB. Feb 16th 1898”.
• Ode on the Coronation of King Edward, 1902. Boston, L. C. Page & Company. First Edition. 34 p. (on double leaves) . No Jacket. Book has grey boards with red quarter cloth on spine and a gold gilt stamped coat of arms on front cover. The pages are untrimmed and uncut. Gold lettering on front in near fine condition. Long inscription on the flyleaf by Charles G.D. Roberts, explaining the importance of the poem and Roberts was with Carman when he wrote this poetry book
• Earth’s Enigmas First edition. 1903. Boston, L.C. Page. Red illustrated cloth, nick at the bottom of the spine. Signed presentation copy on front free endpaper for Marguerite Scott Rielly, dated June 1903.
• The Heart of the Ancient Wood 1906. New York, A. Wessels Company. Brown decorative cloth in slightly chipped dust jacket.
• The Vagrant of Time, 1927. Toronto, Ryerson. Limited edition of 500, of which this is 125. (Hardcover) Sunning on spine and front edges, otherwise very good condition. 6 x 8 inches. No dust jacket, as issued. 46pp. Signed by author (twice). Paper covered boards, frontispiece.
• The Secret Trails, 1930. New York, Macmillan. 5 x 7-1/4 inches, (8), [212pp]. Uncommon SIGNED copy on half title page (about age 70 when signed). DJ with small 3/8 inch V shape at front bottom and on front flap bottom right corner 1-1/2 inches corner missing. Book internally in very good condition. He produced ten short stories of the animal world. Thrilling adventures, set in the out of doors.
1 Signed Inscription:
• Charles G.D. Roberts signature inscription. ND. NP. Charles G.D. Roberts autograph inscription, signed, on a leaf from an autograph book. Single sheet, 16.5 X 10 cm. Inscribed '"Stand four-square to the world for praise or blame.'" and signed in full. [Note added in another's hand "taken from mother's autograph album. M.W] Very good condition.
Collection on consignment with LDRB.