Place Published: Boston
Publisher: Boston Dally Advertiser
Date Published: 1830
Edition: 1st Edition
Binding: No binding
Boston Dally Advertiser newspaper,
• 1830 July 13, p. 2, c. 1-2 - "NOTES BY A MAIL TRAVELLER TO QUEBEC, No. 2" - very detailed description of the road from the landing place at the British end of the Lake to Laprairie, Québec -
with a detailed description written in 1830. - 16 col. Inches.
La Prairie, a suburb of Montreal, is located on the South Shore of the St Lawrence River. It took its name from the land called "La-Prairie-de-la-Madeleine," occupied by the Jesuits from 1647 and granted by the Abbé de La Ferté de La Madeleine, a member of the COMPAGNIE DES CENT-ASSOCIÉS. After the conquest, British merchants immigrated to La Prairie and soon controlled its economy, which was linked to river transportation. In 1836 the first Canadian railway, linking La Prairie with Saint-Jean, was inaugurated. After construction of the Victoria Bridge, goods trains coming from the east were diverted from the town.