Date Published: 1983 to 2007
Binding: Hard & Soft cover
Lawrence Hill (b1957) is a Canadian novelist, essayist, educator, and documentary writer. His epic novel, The Book of Negroes, tells the spell-binding story of a girl, Aminata Diallo, forcefully brought to South Carolina from West Africa at the time of the American Revolution. The novel won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize, and the CBC Radio Canada Reads competition.
Dan Hill, (b1954) Lawrence’s older brother, is a Canadian pop singer songwriter and author. He has had two major international hits with his songs "Sometimes When We Touch" and "Can't We Try".
The collection is comprised of 6 signed books dating from 1983 to 2015 (5 books inscribed by Lawrence Hill and one book signed by Dan Hill), a dozen signing photos of Lawrence Hill and a few pieces of ephemera inside the books and Dan Hill printed sheet music and signed D. Hill photo.
• 3 signed copies of Lawrence Hill’s The Book of Negroes. All in very good condition to fine condition. With a dozen colour photos of Lawrence Hill at a book launch. The 3 books and photos are housed in a matching linen clamshell box with reproductions of illustrations from the proof and advanced reading copies of the book.
1) The Book of Negroes. Toronto: Harper Collins, 2007. Uncorrected proof copy. Paper covers.
2) The Book of Negroes. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2007. Advanced reading copy. Paper covers. Both the title and design of the American edition were changed when the book was published in the USA.
3) Someone Knows My Name. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2007. First American edition in jacket. The original title of the book was changed in the American edition.
• Lawrence Hill: The Illegal. Toronto: HarperCollins Ltd., 2015. Orange yellow cloth in jacket, fine condition. Signed copy with ephemera related to the book being chosen for the Common Reading Program at McMaster University.
• Lawrence Hill: Dear Sir, I Intend to Burn Your Book: An Anatomy of a Book Burning. Edmonton: The University of Alberta Press, 2013. Paper covers, signed copy with an e-mail exchange with Hill also signed by the author.
• Dan Hill. Comeback. Toronto: Seal Books, McClelland and Stewart-Bantam, 1983. Soft cover, good condition, small cut at bottom of the spine. Signed: “To Joan & John | If you recognize yourselves in | any of the characters in this book - | please don’t sue – remember my | wife is a lawyer! | but seriously – I hope you | get a kick out of this story | Dan.”
• Dan Hill sheet music, and Barry Mann, Sometimes When We Touch (Los Angeles: Music corporation, 1977).
• D. Hill Signed colour photo when older, n.d.
Collection is on consignment with LDRB.