Date Published: 1977 to 2011
Binding: No binding & hard cover
Dean Koontz is a best-selling American author in the genres of suspense, horror fiction, science fiction, thriller, and fantasy. He has also used approximately ten different pen names. His books have sold more than 450 million copies. Many of his books have been made into films.
The collection contains 35 items dating from 1977 to 2011, specifically, sixteen letters, five photos, two books, four posters, five newsletters, an autographed card and an interview. Many of the letters are signed typed form letters (“At certain times of the year, I’m able to answer readers’ letters with a line of two, more personally than I am able to do right now….”) with a paragraph written by Koontz to each correspondent.
2 Autographed Letter Signed (ALS):
• ALS to Molly [S. Adams], 27 August 1997, apologizing “I was on a brutal deadline” and enclosing a copy of his newsletter (not present with ALS).
• ALS and TLS form letter) to Haukenberry with written paragraph, n.d., answering her questions: “… As far as I know, you’re the first to realize that Stormy would die! The best book on writing I’ve done is How to Write Best-Selling Fiction, but even that one is out of date and now seems jejune to me!” 9 Typed Letter Signed (TLS):
• TLS (form letter) to Jim Schendel with envelope, date-stamped 2 March 1999, with a written paragraph re his publishers featuring his name in large type on book covers (“I have no Evil Twin!”).
• TLS (form letter) to Andrea, n.d., with a written paragraph (“you didn’t tell me your mom’s name”) saying that he couldn’t personalize the enclosed b&w photo of Koontz and his dog.
• TLS (form letter) to Michelle, n.d., written note on the bottom, re pumpkins mangled by the post office and that he couldn’t make pies out of them.
• 2 TLS (form letter) to Nicole, n.d., written notes at the bottom, “Here’s the photo that you requested. At least my dog is photogenic!”
• TLS (form letter) to Juan, n.d., written note on the bottom, “Thank you for your kind words. Here’s the photo. At least my dog is photogenic.” With colored photo of Koontz and his dog: “To Juan-- | BEST WISHES, | Dean Koontz | WOOF!”
• TLS to Pam, n.d., written note on the bottom, “Thanks for your kind words. You brightened my day. Here are the bookplates you requested.”
• TLS to Ivan (form letter), n.d., “Thanks for your kind words. Here is the photo. At least my dog is photogenic.”
1 Typed Letter (TL):
• TL from Barbara Haukenberry, (unsigned) original cataloguer at the University of California at Santa Barbara, 18 January 2004, re her work cataloguing religious books and her appreciation of Koontz’s books (Odd Thomas, The Book of Counted Sorrows, Watchers, etc.).
ª Answers 2 questions: his favorite thing as a kid—“Books. Dogs. Chocolate Cokes”; his advice for you in the future—“Trust in God”. Form TLS, n.d., saying that at certain times of the year, he cannot reply to letters.
• 2 signed copies of A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog (New York: Hyperion, 2009). Each has a TLS (form letter) with a personal note: to Tracy, n.d., re The City; to Michelle, re bookplates (“… And from me to you a little book that is close to my heart.”).
• 3 color photos: 2 photos Koontz signing books; Koontz and his dog: “To Theresa | FROM THE OFF AUTHOR, | Dean Koontz | --WOOF!”
• An Interview with Dean R. Koontz and News of His Forthcoming Books by James Parkman (6 pp., 15 questions posed to Koontz with his answers), with ALS by Koontz on the first page addressed Dear Paul, re signed cards: “Now remember: Something’s out there. It’s real hungry. Try not to look like food.” Small b&w printed image of Koontz.
• Newsletter (entitled Dean Koonz), 1996, with answers to 27 most frequently asked questions and book and film news, with a signed note on the first page addressed to Samantha, re bookplates.
• 5 issues of Useless News (Holidays 2011; Spring 2013; Holidays 2013; Summer 2014; Holidays 2014).
• 4 large color posters: Demon Seed (1977); Watchers (1988); Whispers (1990); and Phantoms (1998).
• The Cold Fire, signed souvenir ts., 1 p., n.d
• Card signed for Ashley Smith, 30 June 2006
Collection on consignment with LDRB.