Date Published: 1943
Binding: No binding & soft cover
ALBERT EINSTEIN TELEGRAM CONFIRMING SPONSORING RED ARMY DINNER
The Red Army 25th Anniversary dinner was held at the Hotel Commodore, New York City, 22 February 1943, under the auspices of the magazine Soviet Russia Today. Albert Einstein, Thomas Mann, and Edgar Lee Masters agree to sponsor the dinner.
This collection contains 8 items in total dated all 1943, specifically 3 Typed carbon letters, 3 telegrams, 1 B&w photo and 1 magazine.
• 3 Typed letters (carbon copies, each letter is chipped and torn at the perimeter, but the text is not affected) to each of these three individuals from the Jessica Smith, the editor of Soviet Russia Today, 114 E. 32nd Street, New York, N.Y., 29 March 1943
• 3 Telegrams (two 8.5" × 3.5", one 8" × 5.75") from Einstein, Mann, and Masters agreeing to be sponsors of the dinner.
• Einstein’s telegram is dated 16 January 1943: “SHALL BE GLAD TO SPONSOR RED ARMY ANNIVERSARY DINNER - ALBERT EINSTEIN.”
• Mann’s telegram is dated 18 January 1943: “GIVING WITH PLEASURE MY NAME FOR LISTS OF SPONSORS OF YOUR DINNER - THOMAS MANN.”
• Masters’s telegram is dated 17 January 1943: “YOU MAY USE MY NAME AS ONE OF THE SPONSORS FOR THE ANNIVERSARY MEETING ON FEB 22ND - EDGAR LEE MASTERS.”
• 1 B&w photo (9 × 7.25”), “At Red Army Dinner”, 22 February 1943, N.E.A., “Maj Gen Thomas A Terry USA Commanding the Second Corps Area warned that `the prospects of the Allies to exact of the enemy unconditional surrender must not be jeopardized by Axis Propaganda designed to divide the Allied Nations.’ Here, at the dinner, are (left to right): Rear Admiral Mikhail I. Akulin Vice Chairman of the Soviet Government Purchasing Commission; Gen. Terry
• 1 Magazine, Soviet Russia Today, March 1943, Red Army anniversary issue, 36pp 8-3/4 x 11-3/4 inches. Joseph F. Davies, Former Ambassador to Russia "Behind the Soviet victories" article.
The Workers' and Peasants' Red Army, shortened to the Red Army, was the army and air force of the Soviet Union. Smith writes: “We are very grateful to you for accepting our invitation to be a sponsor of our dinner in honor of the Red Army… We are issuing a special Red Army number of Soviet Russia Today which we expect to have ready in time for the dinner.
We are requesting tributes to the Red Army by prominent Americans for publication in this issue. We should like very much to have a tribute from you both for publication in the magazine, and for inclusion in a reading of tributes that will be a part of the dinner program.
Albert Einstein (1879-1955) was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science.
Paul Thomas Mann (1875-1955) was a German novelist, short story writer, social critic, philanthropist, essayist, and the 1929 Nobel Prize in Literature laureate
Edgar Lee Masters (1868-1950) was an American attorney, poet, biographer, and dramatist. Edgar Lee Masters is best remembered for his great collection Spoon River Anthology.
This collection is on consignment with LDRB.