Place Published: Glasglow
Publisher: Adamson photography
Date Published: 
Edition: 1st Edition
Binding: No binding
RARE EARLY PHOTO OF 1890 PADDLE STEAMER MADE IN GLASGOW
Photograph: 12 x 10 inches but framed in a cardboard printed frame with only 11 x 9 inches shown. Photo yellowed with age ad spotted. Good condition only for photo.
Printed card frame: 15-1/2 x 14-1/2 inches. Card frame yellowed with age and spotted. Piece of card missing from the card frame on the top right. Fair condition only for card frame.
Adamson Rothesay blind embossed stamped on photograph in water in bottom right side (John Adamson & Son - 126 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow photographers)
The Hygeia was a steel Paddle steamer built in 1890 by Napier, Shanks & Bell in Yoker (Glasgow). The ship was built for Huddart, Parker & Company, Melbourne Australia. Her overall length was 300ft, her beam was 32ft and her draught was 11ft giving her a displacement weight of 986 tons. A comfortable Port Phillip Bay steamer, she could carry 1,600 passengers. The Hygeia was built to compete directly with the popular PS Ozone. She was capable of 22 knots under full steam and was considered the most luxuriously appointed paddle steamer ever built for Australian service with promenade decks, saloons, dining rooms, bars and a barber's shop. Hygeia operated regular excursion trips each summer between Melbourne, Queenscliff and Sorrento for 40 years and was often chartered for company picnics and special events. Transferred to Bay Steamers Ltd 1912 for the Port Phillip Bay traffic.
During her time she was involved in a few incidents. In 1894 she was involved in a collision with the tug, Sprightly. On the 8th December 1911 she collided with an unnamed cutter on Port Philip Bay and a few days later on the 22nd December was stranded at Sorrento. Hygeia was taken out of service in 1930. 1931 bought by H W Morris, hull gutted and on 25th August 1931 hulk broke adrift from tug Eagle outside of Port Phillip heads (from Melbourne to be scuttled) and went ashore at Rosebud. Hygeia was laid to rest after being stripped of all her fittings at Barwon Heads just outside the western head of Port Philip Bay in June 1932. She now lies off Barwon heads in 65 metres of water.
[Huddart, Parker & Company, Melbourne Australia] Huddart Parker Ltd was an Australian shipping company trading in various forms between 1876 and 1961. It was one of the seven major coastal shippers in Australia at a time when shipping was the principal means of interstate and trans-Tasman transport. The company started in Geelong, but in 1890 shifted its offices to Melbourne. By 1910 Huddart Parker had grown to rank 24th of the top 100 companies in Australia by asset value. Several of the company's ships served in World War I and World War II. Huddart Parker ceased to be an independent company in 1961, when it was taken over by Bitumen and Oil Refineries Australia Limited