Date Published: 1950-1993
Christopher Hammond Fry was an English poet and playwright. He is best known for his verse dramas, notably The Lady's Not for Burning, which made him a major force in theatre in the 1940s and 1950s.
This collection includes 1 Typescript; 3 Autographed Letters Signed; 1 Typed Letter Signed; 1 photo, 1 booklet and 1 Book.
TS of Fry’s well-known play The Boy with a Cart. 50 pages., signed in full at the conclusion. No place, no date. Written in 1938 but ball-point signature would indicate later signing in the 1950s (when the play was first published and produced professionally in 1950, it starred Richard Burton in his first major role). Some very minor edge tears otherwise good copy.
3 Autographed Letters Signed:
• ALS to Mr. Moore, 27 August 1972. Thanks him for his kind remarks. “The production at Chichester has gone most encouragingly well, thank goodness.”
• ALS to Mrs. Davie, 6 May 1993. Thanks her for typing the quotations and “every good wish for a successful fund-raising.”
• ALS to Mr. Catry, 25 January 1993, saying that the “greatest pleasure is the performance of A Sleep of Prisoners with Stanley Baker and Denholm Eliot in the cast.”
1 Typed Letter Signed:
• TLS to Mr. Coppard, 20 February 1952, sending thanks for his letter and responding: "Unless something very drastic comes up I think that I will be free to take part in the Evening Party and Book Sale to be held at the Arts Theatre Club. . . . [H]ow should I be dressed?"
• B&w photo of Fry, Associated Press Photo, n.d.
Program from the Apollo Theatre, 2 June 1955, London, re production of Jean Giradoux’s Tiger at the Gates, trans. by Fry
The Boy with a Cart (London: Oxford University Press, Humphrey Milford, 1939), green paper wrapper a bit sunned, first printing of the play, with an autograph signed Fry note inserted.
All material housed in a very handsome light green cloth box with a facsimile illustrations of Fry and the front wrapper of The Boy with a Cart pasted on the top and bottom of the box.
This collection on consignment with LDRB