Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection. Rev. Henry John CODY.
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection
Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection

Rev. Henry John Cody of Toronto collection

Date Published: 1889-1937
Binding: 

Rev. Henry John Cody collection contains 2 handwritten notebooks and 10 various ephemera most from his time at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Bloor Street, in Toronto. 1889-1937.

Two handwritten notebook and diaries

#1) Handwritten notebook and diary, [33] pp., 28 August-4 September 1909, in pencil. Black flexible cloth, 16.5 × 10 cm. Much of the notebook concerns meetings of the Commission of Missionary Society of European Immigration at Winnipeg.  Cody lists the names of the Committee members and how they did or did not agree with the committee findings. A Greek Orthodox priest, for example, objects to Greek children in his district attending school. He records his observations, the Committee resolutions, and how various churches manage the foreign situation. At the first meeting a letter is read from Rev. J.[S.] Woodsworth, who would become the first leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. On 3 September 1909, Cody is back at St. Paul’s, then he departs for Minneapolis, and on 3-4 September he is in Chicago where he visits Hull House and meets Jane Addams. He discusses the issue of settlement of foreigners and notes that women are mostly being educated without a focus on religion. #2) Black leather notebook 22 × 14.5 cm., circa 100 pp., slight chipping at the bottom of the upper board. With prayers written in the front by Rev. Canon Cody, D.D., L.L.D., followed by descriptions and synopses of his sermons written in another hand between 3 September 1922 and 27 March 1927 (some clippings from newspapers reports of the sermons). At the back of the notebook there is a listing of flowers put in the church from 3 June to 7 October 1923 and the times of Holy Communion offered by Cody from 25 April to 25 July 1926.

Ten Various ephemera and pamphlets:

#3) Confirmation certificate signed by Cody, Easter morning 1932;

#4) Cards related to the Calvary Presbyterian Church, Peoria, Ill., 1892;

#5) St. Paul’s annual report for 1932 with typed expenditures for 1933;

#6) Sunday service bulletin, St. Paul’s, 12 February 1933;

#7) St. Paul’s 1935 Christmas bulletin; programme of Grace Methodist Church rally day, 1905, Rev. J.S. Woodsworth listed on the last page as Assistant Pastor;

#8) B.F. Jacobs, The Lord Our Shepherd: A Bible Reading (Chicago: F.H. Revell Co., [19?]);

#9) E.P. Marvin, Ecclesiatical Amusements (New York: F.H. Revell Co., [1898];

#10) J.V. Smith, The Church and the Boys (Toronto: William Briggs, [1889]);

#11) 2 Annual financial statements of Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, Toronto, 27th anniversary, ending 30 September 1899, and 31s anniversary, ending 30 September 1903 for 22 November 1903;

#12) Hymns for the Coronation of His Majesty King George VI (London: Skeffington & Son, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, [1937]).

Henry John Cody was a Canadian clergyman, politician and President of the University of Toronto from 1932 to 1945 and Chancellor from 1944 to 1947. Born in Embro, Ontario, he attended Galt Collegiate Institute and the University of Toronto. He was ordained a Church of England priest in 1894. The Rev. Canon Henry John Cody came to St. Paul's Church as a student, later becoming curate in charge before being appointed Rector in 1907 serving to 1932. He was an Ontario MPP for Toronto Northeast - Seat A from 1918 to 1920 and was Minister of Education from 1918 to 1919. He was made a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George in 1943. At the University of Toronto Schools, the Cody house in the intramural house system is named in his honour.

Collection is on consignment with LDRB.
Item #7447

$850.00 USD
$1,128.21 CAD

See all items in Collections
See all items by