Place Published: London
Publisher: Published by W. Faden, Charing Cross
Date Published: 1815
Plan Town of William Henry printed Aug. 12, 1815, London. Map was folded now flat.
Paper size: 9-1/2 x 10-1/4 inches
Image size: 8-3/4 x 9-1/2 inches
Engraving has a faint offsetting from another page along lower 2 inches, otherwise in very good condition. An attractive and historic early view of Plan Town of William Henry.
In 1815 Bouchette wrote: there is a population of 1,500 souls in town and 150 houses other than the stores, barracks, and government buildings. The houses are of wood but the churches, both Catholic and Protestant are of stone; there are eight main streets all bearing the names of different members of the royal family. In 1860 the city council beseeched the government to subsitiute the name William-Henry, the town name since its founding, to that of Sorel, in honour of the founder of the settlement. The favour was granted: William-Henry became ville de Sorel. At that time the population was 3,345. 3,238 Canadians of french origin, 1 Scot, 7 Irishmen. quoted from vieux-soreldotcom
Sorel is the fourth oldest city in the province of Quebec. Its formation began in 1642 when Charles Huault de Montmagny, first Governor and Lieutenant-Governor of New France, built Fort Richelieu here as a defense for settlers and river travellers against the Iroquois. In 1647, the original fort was destroyed by the Iroquois but it was rebuilt by the Carignan-Salières Regiment on the same site in 1665 Wikipedia