Fort Chambly & part of the Great Camp, 1814. Joseph BOUCHETTE, William FADEN, W. J. BENNETT, publisher, William James, engraver.

Fort Chambly & part of the Great Camp, 1814

Place Published: London
Publisher: Published by W. Faden, Charing Cross
Date Published: 1815

Fort Chambly & part of the Great Camp, 1814, printed Aug. 12, 1815,

Paper size: 5-3/4 x 9-1/2 inches

Image size: 4-1/4 x 8-1/8 inches

Engraving has been cleaned and de-acidified and now in fine condition. An attractive and historic early view of Fort Chambly.

The history of Fort Chambly goes back for almost three centuries. Situated on the Richelieu River at Chambly Canton, Quebec, about 20 miles from Montreal, the Fort was one of several constructed along the River by the French for the protection of settlers against attack by the Iroquois. The first fort, erected in 1665 by Captain Jacques de Chambly, was built of wood. It served until 1702, when it was burnt by the Indians during the temporary absence of a garrison.

Replaced on a smaller scale, the Fort proved to be inadequate for the protection of the inhabitants of the region, and in 1710-11 it was rebuilt of stone in its present proportions. Held by the French until the Seven Years War, it was surrendered to the English in 1760. During the American Revolution the Fort was captured in 1775 by troops under Montgomery, but was evacuated and burnt by the invaders the following year. Repaired in 1777, it was garrisoned until about the middle of the last century, when it was abandoned as a military post. National Parks 1952 brochure.

During the War of 1812, The British Army moved its headquarters there, it occupies the territory of the suburbs of the fort and began the construction of a major military complex (some buildings still exist today). The regiments of militia and army flock. Add to that the presence of major general and Governor Prevost, the courts martial followed by the execution of sentences, logistics supplies of the army, not to mention the training of Canadian Voltigeurs and militia under the orders of Charles-Michel de Salaberry. The latter, future hero of Châteauguay, just married Marie-Anne-Julie Hertel de Rouville in the parish church. from societe histoire chambly dot org
Item #5608

$75.00 USD
$93.89 CAD