Autographed Signed Letter (ASL) of George Moore
Date Published: 1845
Binding: No binding
Autograph letter marked Private, signed. One page, 8 x 5 inches. Thin paper was folded (some soiling along old fold) and has some border folds and tears not affecting text of letter, otherwise, good condition. Dated Bow Church Yard, 29/10/45 to William Smith thanking him, and acknowledging that arrangements had been made for his Country House. With letter from William Smith to Moore, evidently referring to the matter and referencing identifying three candidates for the work Moore requires.
George Moore was a British lace merchant and philanthropist. In 1826 Moore entered the service of Fisher, Stroud, & Robinson, then deemed the first lace house in the city. The turning point in Moore's life came when in 1827, he was made town traveller. He prospered at once. In the retirement occasioned by ill- health his religious opinions became pronounced, and on his return from America in 1844 he plunged into philanthropy with the same zest that he gave to business. The first charitable institution in which he interested himself was the Cumberland Benevolent Society. Then he threw himself into the cause of the Commercial Travellers' Schools, for which he secured the interest of Charles Dickens. An article in 'Household Words' for August 1850 moved him to help in establishing the British Home for Incurables. He was the chief promoter of a reformatory for young men at Brixton, the only work, Moore used to say, he had 'begun and given up.' The Warehousemen and Clerks' Schools virtually had their origin on the premises of Moore's firm in Bow Churchyard. The Porters' Benevolent Association also owed its existence to his encouragement.
Good. Item #4992