Place Published: Toronto
Publisher: Province of Canada
Date Published: 1859
Edition: 1st Edition
Binding: No binding
15-3/4 x 13-1/2 inches, was folded now flat, typed and handwritten manuscript and transfer document with docketing information handwritten on verso. Faded seal, bottom corners folded back more, otherwise very good condition. Some content and detail...
Three hundred dollars… Two hundred acres… Lot Number Twelve, in the Eighteenth concession of the aforesaid Township of Derby… Seventh of May Eighteen Hundred and Fifty nine…
Signed; E.W. Head, Governor General, T Roranleo? Secretary Andrew Russell, Asst Commissioner of Crown Lands Thomas Sloan, General Merchant, tavern "Sloan's Hotel" and Postmaster. Early description of the area... A Post village in the centre of the Township of Derby, 7 1/2 m. from Owen Sound, 8 m. from Tara, and 23 m. from Southampton is on the Owen Sound and Saugeen stage road (see "Centre Road, Derby"), not on the the Gravel Road which runs through the Township near its Northern limit. The place is now called Kilsyth.
Sir Edmund Walker Head: He was simultaneously Governor General of the Province of Canada and Lieutenant Governor of Canada West and Canada East (1854–1861) and formerly Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick (1847–1854). He was the cousin of Sir Francis Bond Head. E.W. Head was elected governor of the reconfigured Hudson's Bay Company in 1863 after his return to England, which he held until his death. While Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, Head authorized the creation of an engineering faculty at the University of New Brunswick. This was the first such programme in what would become Canada. In his honour, the buildings housing this faculty at UNB are called Head Hall. The city of Edmundston, New Brunswick was named after him. In the county of Renfrew, a township of Head was named in his honour.
Andrew Russell, Assistant Commissioners of Crown Lands for the Province of Canada 18 July 1857, to 30 June 1867
Very Good. Item #3118