Place Published: Québec
Publisher: Province of Canada
Date Published: 1852
Edition: 1st Edition
Binding: No binding
15-3/4 x 13 inches, was folded now flat, typed and handwritten manuscript and transfer document with docketing information handwritten on verso. All four edges folded and top fold on right side with about 3 inches separated. Faded seal and two 1/8 inch holes each at top left and centre, otherwise, very good condition. Some content and detail... William G. Hall of the Township of Sandwich, in the County of Essex, Esquire… Ten pounds… sixty nine thousand and forty square links
… The Water Lot in the Detroit River in front of part of Lot Number Eighty two in the Front Concession of the aforesaid Township of Sandwich being butted and bounded as follows that is to say commencing at the waters edge of the Detroit River in the limit between Lots number Eighty two and Eighty three; then North twenty eight degrees West two chains eighty links more of less to the channels bank, then along the said Channel Bank two chains forty eight links; then south twenty eight degrees East more of less to the aforesaid waters edge of the River Detriot; then North sixty two degrees East two chains forty eight links more of less to the place of the beginning. 4th March, 1852 and recorded 22nd March 1852
Signed by at least (James Bruce) Elgin/Kincardine, John Roth , A.N. Morin ??? Secretary James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin and 12th Earl of Kincardine (20 July 1811 – 20 November 1863) was a British colonial administrator and diplomat, best known as Governor General of the Province of Canada and Viceroy of India. He was the son of the 7th Earl of Elgin and 11th Earl of Kincardine. His second wife was Lady Mary Lambton, daughter of the 1st Earl of Durham, the author of the groundbreaking Report on the Affairs of British North America (1839), and niece of the Colonial Secretary the 3rd Earl Grey.
John Rolph, was a physician, lawyer and political figure in Upper Canada. He arrived in Upper Canada during the War of 1812 and served as the paymaster for the London District militia. In 1826, he became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and, in 1829, was licensed to practise medicine in Upper Canada. In 1824 he established the first medical school in Upper Canada with Dr Charles Duncombe in St. Thomas, under the patronage of Colonel Thomas Talbot. He was a reformer and exited to USA Dec.6, 1837 and returned to Toronto in 1843 after being granted amnesty. In 1851, he was elected to represent Norfolk County in the Legislative Assembly and was appointed Commissioner of Crown Lands (serving 28 October 1851 – 30 August 1853). Died in 1870 in Mitchell, Perth County, Ontario.
Very Good. Item #3115