Date Published: ND
Image size is 7 x 9 inches, overall paper size is 9 x 12 inches. Frame size is 17 x 20 inches. Steel engraving. Fine condition. Nothing on reverse of this high quality thick rag paper.
Beautifully custom dark brown framed with museum quality glass and triple matted.
"John George Lambton, Earl of Durham, was born on the 12th April, 1792, and, like his father, received his education between Eton and Cambridge. As soon as he attained maturity, he was elected to parliament by the county of Durham, and took his seat almost immediately oncoming of age. On the 1st of January, 1812, he married Miss Henrietta Cholmondeley, by whom he had three daughters; but losing their mother, who died on the 11th of July, 1815, his lordship, on the 9th of December, 1816, was united to the Lady Louisa Elizabeth Grey, daughter of the late Earl Grey by whom he had a family. In parliament, the abilities of Mr. Lambton very soon obtained him a distinguished position, and proved that, however distinguished had been the reputation of his ancestors, he inherited their exalted sentiment - their love of liberty - their talents and their zeal. The proceedings instituted against Queen Caroline, consort of George IV., aroused Mr. Lambtons energies, and he unhesitatingly placed the shield of his unsullied reputation before the royal victim, whom he deemed more sinned against than sinning. On the 8th of April, 1821, Mr. Lambton introduced into the House of Commons a plan to amend the representation of the people-a project differing but little from that which at length became the law of the land; this motion was rejected by a majority of twelve. The dismissal of Sir Robert Wilson from the army, afforded Mr. Lambton another opportunity of recording his sentiments in his usual bold and uncompromising manner. His subsequent subscription of 1,000, in aid of the Spaniards against the unprovoked aggression of France, showed that his liberality kept pace with his eloquence in the cause of the oppressed. On April, 1826, Mr. Lambton suffered a severe illness, but having partially recovered, he was again chosen at the general election, in the June of that year, to represent, for the fourth time, the county of Durham. On the 17th of January, 1828, it pleased his sovereign to elevate Mr. Lambton to the peerage, under the title of Baron Durham, of the city of Durham, and of Lambton Castle, in the county palatine of Durham.
In the House of Lords, Lord Durham did not lower his reputation - he raised it;- he was still the same eloquent advocate of popular rights, the same fearless champion of freedom, and the same uncompromising foe of oppression. Upon the accession of Earl Grey to power, in 1830, Lord Durham was appointed lord privy seal, and became a cabinet-minister. In the subsequent arduous and harassing struggles of the reformers, we find his lordship ever watchful at his post, and his speeches- second to none but those of Brougham and Plunket-surpassed in spirit, force, and brilliancy, most of the orations delivered during those memorable discussions. His line of conduct secured him unbounded popularity, and eventually conferred on its object the title of " Reformer of the North " In 1831, Lord Durham experienced a severe domestic calamity in the decease of his eldest son, Charles William, who expired on the 24th of September in that year, at the age of fourteen. On the 3rd of July, 1832, Lord Durham proceeded on a special mission to the court of Russia; and on the 12th of March, 1833, his lordship retired from the cabinet, when his services were rewarded by an exaltation to the rank of an earl, with that of Viscount Lambton. In 1835, his lordship returned to Russia, as British ambassador, and remained there until the summer of 1837; and in the following year went out as governor-general of Canada, whence he returned, after a few months absence, without any permission from government. His lordship died at Cowes, in the Isle of Wight, on the 28th of July, 1840, in the 49th year of his age, deeply regretted by every friend of civil and religious liberty. A magnificent monument, in commemoration of his lordships eminent services, and the esteem in which he was held, has been erected on Penshar Hill, in the county of Durham. Its form approximates to that of the Temple of Theseus, with a rectangular basis of solid masonry, 100 feet long by 54 feet in width. The foundation rests on the solid limestone rock, twenty ~et below the surface of the soil, and the base rises ten feet above the platform of the hill. At the sides of this rectangle stand eighteen lofty open equidistant columns, thirty feet in height, and six and a half in diameter, supporting at each end a magnificent pediment, and at each side a deep entablature, which serves as a promenade." Quoted from The Gallery of Engravings: Edited by G. N. Wright, Volume 3 p. 81
Fine. Item #2392